Good Music, Good vibes and a Good Guy.

When I was 16 I set foot to my first gig alone to a place in Leeds I'd never been to see two wonderful people, Dave Giles and, then known as, BryBry. And some other guy id never heard of before. Little did I know almost 6 years later id be getting sent that guys album to listen to and write words about.
That guy is most commonly known as Danny Gruff who has impressed me countless times over the past 6years. From good eps to a song a week for a year. I have always loved Danny’s music as a whole but his talent and perseverance to push himself to new musical challenges has impressed me most.  And as from someone who didn’t get to see him live for a year and a half, it’s so interesting to see an improvement in his vocals. So as I started to listen to his self-titled debut album I was very excited.

Clicking play on Track 1 – Tightrope, I was enjoying the bliss melody before, bam, his strong vocals appeared and thus the album had begun. Granted it made me jump so be a bit wary listening to track one. But it’s a wonderful opener to what is instore for us.
Now as much as I’d like to go through each song and give you my opinion, that’s no fun to read. So I’m going to mention a few that stood out for me.

The first song that I started listening to and sat there thinking ‘I can totally see me and Hannah stood at the back of a gig singing our little hearts out to this song’ was conveniently his single, We Got This. It’s upbeat with the ability to get your head bopping if you’re not already singing the words to yourself. A Song designed for those feel good days when you need a little pick me up.

Track  6- Coffee Beans is a song that reminds me how much I love Dannys voice. The simple guitar track allows his vocals to completely shine through and just takes you a different level. More laid back than We Got this it’s still a beautiful song in its own right.

Track 7 - Country song is a song that reminds me of Danny’s older music. As he has an ability to share a story in a song but without making you feel like you’re listening to a book. Country song is a great show of this.

Danny seems to have an ability that many artists do but in a different way. Most artists have a style and they build an album around one style. Then hope, come next album, they can try a different style. I feel Danny does all the styles in one leaving you with a beautiful album given you different possibilities, Something good for example is such a wonderful song and the perfect background music for writing this. However it’s a complete 180 from Pieces which at some points reminds me of my Pop Punk tracks and I was slightly waiting for Danny to drop a killer scream in there and the song to drop. But they work so well on an album together. Why? Because that seems to be the ability Danny has. No song is out of place. But no two songs are the same. And that’s something not many people can achieve.
It means no matter your genre of music there’s a strong possibility there will be one song among this album that takes your ears fancy.
However much I do love this album, my favourite has to be Last Man Standing. The perfect ending song (if youre not listening to it on shuffle). That song to me, the vocals and lyrics is pure perfection. And it keeps getting stuck in my head.

The Album is officially out on June 9th so click here to go pre order.
Single We Got This is out now. Click here to listen to that.
He is also going on tour so if you like what your listening to (or see, he has a very nice face too) then click here to see dates and grab yourself tickets. If you’re going to Verve I’ll see you at the bar.


You Might Also Like

0 comments